Mine workings and the work of the Reverend Henry Tremayne Rodd

1823      The mine at Wall was re-opened and was active until

1842      when 12,000 tons of tin ore and 1,000 tins of copper ore

              were taken out.  The last known working was in 1852.

              The mine at Wheal Alfred  also produced copper.

              Roseworthy Hammer Mills company made

              shovels, chains and boilers etc for the mines, with lakes

              and leats engineered  to work the water wheels.

18--?     Mr Hamblim, the blacksmith's son, invented a pile-cutter for velvet, making velveteen.

1851     The Reverend Henry Tremayne Rodd becomes vicar.  Born 8.11.1811 in St Justin Roseland,

             son of The Reverend Edward Rodd and Harriet (nee Rashleigh) , Henry was also related to the

            Tremaynes  of Heligan and the Hearles of Penryn. Gwinear parish church was very dilapidated 

 and Henry Rodd paid for the renovation of the Chancel.

 This work was supervised by John Sedding, who worked as

  architect in the creation of Truro's new cathedral. He was a

 member of the Arts and  Crafts movement, commended by

 Ruskin.  Sedding was noted for his sensitive renovation and

repair of rural churches.  This Pentecost photo shows two

 hardworking Churchwardens amid  hassocks which take their designs 

from the Victorian floor tiles.

  Inset is one of the pew ends in the choir. 

 

 

 

 

  The stained glass windows were added at this time.

The East window depicts the gospel writers on either

side of the crucified Christ.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                               The Reredos is newly expertly renovated (.2014 )

1851    West Cornwall railway between Penzance amd Truro completed.

1851    Wall school opened to accommodate 230 children,  in what is now Wall hall, the size of two modern

            classrooms .

By this time the earth around the church was as high as the windows on the south side.  Drainage was

required, The Georgian window on the north side of the Arundell Chapel was out of fashion, window frames

needed to be. renewed. Glorious stained glass windows were added.

The Good Shepherd  Window

With musical angels above, John the Baptist

points the way towards Christ in the centre with Latin

words '' Ecce Homo,  or 'Behold,  the Man'.  Jesus,

the Good Shepherd, and Lamb of God  who brings

us the gift of living water.  

On the right we see a kindly, thoughtful St Gwinear.

The west baptistry window has a grisaille 

'Tree of Life ' design.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This tapestry kneeler shows The Lamb and Flag, the sign which represents

John the Baptist. It was stitched by Margaret Pascoe in memory he

husband, Willie. Their surname, like the French name Pascal ,

was originally given to a child born in the week before Easter; a period 

during which time a newly born child could not be baptised into the

Catholic Church. Such a child was considered especially blessed.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 The East Window

  A Crucifixion scene is

  flanked by the four gospel

  writers, each with his

  emblem in the tracery above.

  For St John, on the right, is

  the far seeing eagle, a tiny

  way of  reminding the

  observer of  the numinous

  layers within the text of the

  fourth Gospel.

 

 The Chancel roof bosses include a Star of David and

  symbols from the Stations of the Cross

 

 The roof boss  below on the left may be viewed on request.

 Tapestry kneelers in the choir have designs based on Victorian

 floor-tiles.