Glimpses of parish life across two centuries.

Gwinear is the most easterly parish in Penwith, the area of

Cornwall nearest Land's End.  It is possible to see the

Atlantic and the English Channel from the highest

point,  240feet.  Since 1968 around 450 houses have been

built thanks to mains water, sewers, and later mains gas

being  laid on.  The houses in Gwinear  Churchtown look

much the same today as in this early 20th century  photo,

which includes the postman on his delivery cart.

The green enclosed fields around Gwinear Churchtown are 

seen here with vicarage and church tower in the background. 

 

Roman coins were found in a field at nearby Trungle.  

Other finds included a spindle,  a 3rd century small stone

handmill and a lead ingot,  a sign of industrial workings.

There was evidence that, in the fourth century farmers kept 

cattle and sheep .Nowadays daffodils and cauliflower are 

main  crops, and cattle still browse the grass.

 An archaeological dig in 1987 in Reawla, the highest of

the four villages in the parish,  revealed a second century 

defended farmstead. 

The name Reawla means 'Royal place'.  Reawla has a busy little shop near Reawla House where, around

1910,  the bearded JamesThomas, ( seen here with pony and tarp), lived with his wife and ten children.

 At Carnhell Green Carnhell the Post office can be

 glimpsed in this photo across the road from  Pendarves Inn.  

 Are the villagers  'All set for the annual tea treat?'

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           

 

 

Today, Claire is our cheery postie, who always gives

her time for a chat as she travels from one village to another.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Wall is situated between Carnhell Green and Reawla

 This photo was taken before 1920 of Francis Hale's 

  wheelwrights' shop and Box Tree Cottage where

 John Wesley, a founder of Methodism, was said to have

 slept when he visited Wall in 1743.

The cottage was owned by Mr Eva,  and in the 1920s

and 1930s the Cocking family lived there until the cottage side wall collapsed while the family was watching a village

cricket match.

Sanitary Inspector Mr Craze (father of Kelvin Craze of Carnhell Green) condemned the cottage, and although

Mr Eva wanted to repair it,  this was not allowed, and the cottage fell into disrepair. Mrs Hilda Willis,(nee Cocking)

of Wall Vean,  lived in the cottage from 1928-1936 before moving to a cottage at Drannack  One of her Saturday

morning jobs was to clean the granite slab at the front door of this cottage. In the background of this photo is the

Manse with Wall Chapel behind the tree.

Gwinear Churchtown and Wall each have well used halls,  both buildings were Sunday Schools.

The former Sunday School at Wall had 250 pupils using footpaths from as far as Praze an Beeble to get

their education. Joyce Ireland, an eight year old pupil when

Wall Sunday School closed in 1935,  still attends Wall

Chapel with her  friends and savours the monthly Soup and

Sweet community lunches served  in her former school.

BusyBodies Playschool is based at Hall for Gwinear, as well

as film club, and monthly theatre productions. 

'Sew Easy'   meets there too and the Internet Cafe at Hall for Gwinear has silvers surfers .

 At the Pitch and Putt clubhouse  in Relistian Lane, Reawla you may have  breakfast, coffee or light  lunches

in the sunner months.There is a small football pitch at The Royal Standard pub in Gwinear,  and of course the

delightful Gwinear Community School is in School Road, half a mile from each village. 

If you have photos and stories from past times which would interest others please contact Beth.


About us
Webpage icon Church Guide Book Part 2
Webpage icon Browse our Church Guide Book
Webpage icon Contact us
Webpage icon Marriages, baptisms and funerals