On the road from Reawla to Fraddam there is a place called Deverall. A name that has achieved a sort
of immortality, for it has come unchanged through the centuries.
This is a farm today. There is alas no trace of the important house that stood there, nor of it's chapel.
On the. 20th February, 1413, a licence was granted to John Deverall and Alice his wife for an oratory
to be erected within their mansion of Deverall in St. Gwinear. There is a Chappel Field marked
on the Tithe map.
The church Commissioners held their meetings in this house, and one such was convened in 1477,
with a view to sequesting the tithes to raise money to pay for repairs to the Chancel at the Church
The Abbot and Convent of Tewekesbury were summoned to appear before the church officials,
as proprietors of these tithes, | to show just cause why these impositions should not be levied.
This meeting was to be held in 'Capella Beate Mariede Deverell' that is, 'The chapel of the Blessed Mary
of Deverell'.To come such a long way, and then to be accommodated, with a retinue, this shows what an important
house it must have been!
The Tower is built:
The Tower was built in 1441 when Michael Lercedekne's will, dated,
1441; 5th January
" ad fabric am Turris sive Campanillis seu ad Campanas ecclesiie
S.Winnere in cornubia dis viz"
'to the building of a tower without bells or towards church bells
for St Gwinear in Cornwall ......?.'.
Michael Lercedekne was treasurer of Exeter Cathedral, and left
in his will forty shillings towards this building,
The tower is of local elvan stone.There is a spiral staircase in the north-east corner from which the exit
opens to the wider lantern turret. Ships would be guided from here before Godrevy lighthouse
On the western wall of the turret, at head height, is a mason's mark, like an
American Indian's head.
The Chancel roof bosses include a Star of David and the Stations
of the Cross.
This very old roof boss maybe viewed on request.
1497 Nicholas Polkinhorne supported Perkin Warbeck at Exeter.He was attained in the
Parliament of 1504. The attainder was reversed in 1506/7, and his daughter Mary inherited Polkinhorne.
The entrance porch, in perpendicular style is decorated with the Tudor rose.
Tudor roses adorned many a building after Henry the eighth became head of the
new Church of England.
The marriage service was conducted in the porch in mediaeval times, followed
by communion in the church.